x

State of Wyoming

COVID-19 Coronavirus Information

SPHST Home

Places

Activities

News & Events

Permits & Reservations

More

Marker of the Month
 

Search Our Site

338S01Web338S01Web

Bonneville Cabins sign can be found near Hudson, Wyoming on road WY789.  Five hundred yards northwest of this marker stood the Bonneville Cabins, built by Captain B.L.E. Bonneville in 1835 to store his trade goods. Three cabins were constructed and later two more. They were long known as "The Five Cabins," the first mercantile establishment in central Wyoming. In 1866 Major Noyes Baldwin moved a stock of goods into the cabins to trade with Shoeshone Indians, but vacated the following year because of Indian hostilities. In 1868 he located a trading post on Baldwin Creek two miles northwest of Lander, and in 1876 moved to the present M.N. Baldwin Co. store in Lander.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

SPHST Home

Places

Activities

News & Events

Permits & Reservations

More